February 19, 2009

Life Lessons

So today we got the unfortunate experience to talk to our son about the loss of a pet.  Corey's family has had Shadow since we were 16 and obviously Mason has known Shadow since he was born.  He very much associates Grandma Brenda and Grandpa Frank's with Shadow and Ace (their other dog).  



Last weekend, Corey's family had to put Shadow to sleep.  This weekend Mason is staying with Grandma and Grandpa so we had to attempt to explain why Shadow is no longer at Grandma and Grandpa's.  

While I am not sure he understands, he appears to have grasped the concept that Shadow is gone and tells us that Shadow is in Dog Heaven (which sends Corey and I into tears every time because it is just the most heartbreaking thing to hear from our 3 year old).  My friend Cassie recommended the book "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant for us to use and I will say that it did a nice job of letting Mason know that Shadow is able to run, have treats and play in Dog Heaven.

I am sure this won't be the life lesson we have to teach our children, but I hope we don't have to do it again for a long time.


No comments: