November 30, 2009

Good Run of Bad Luck

November was a rough month for the Voth family. Sickness hit November 1 on the dot and lingered into December. Of course our boys decided not to be sick at the same time and traded weeks they were sick while Corey and I traded days/hours we were home with them.

We made our first trip to the ER with a sick Cooper on November 13 after coming home from school with labored breathing. It was reasonably determined that he had croup, post X-Ray that is (which I can say was one of my saddest moments as a parent seeing my baby strapped down for this process...yuck!).

We made our second trip to the ER the following week, yes 2 trips in one week. This one occurred in a more traumatic fashion, for me at least. I am using this blog as therapy for the incident because it was so awful. I was home from work with two sick kids, who saw their pediatrician earlier in the day and given the all clear to go back to school. I was doing some laundry that afternoon and carrying sheets in one arm, Cooper in the other. As we were approaching the laundry room, Cooper literally jumped out of my arms. In a slow motion sequence that replays over and over in my head, he falls to the floor without me being able to catch him and lands flat on his back. Sheer panic sets in which included a hysterical call to Corey and a trip to the ER. After a quick check by the doctor and being told that babies are resilient to these things, we went home with a smily Cooper and a wreck of a Megan. I hope no one ever asks us later in life in fun if Cooper was ever dropped on his head as a baby, because I would sadly have to answer yes.

We hope that our luck with change and we can move on to more happy and healthy times.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

yikes! i didn't know the cooper leaping story. i'm glad he's ok. hopefully its not telling of a future filled with risk on his part - bungee jumping, sky diving, cliff diving... :)

Angie said...

If it makes you feel better you are not alone. Addie still points to her elbow and says, "owie, dada" :(